Re: Alpha issues (SRM installation)

> 2) dbootstrap also needs to run the correct fdisk program based on this
> detection - cfdisk cannot create OSF partition maps, so SRM machines must
> use fdisk instead.  I would also like to put up a dialog box explaining that
> you need to put fdisk into disklabel mode with the 'b' command (it would be
> nice if you could simply launch fdisk in disklabel mode - I might hack it so
> that this can be done), and start the first partition at cylinder 2 rather
> than cylinder 1 to leave room for aboot.  (BTW, the Red Hat 6.1 installer is
> very nice about this - it has its own partitioning utility, so it does all
> that for you automatically and transparently)

Just a small clarification here, the RedHat installer will only setup BSD
disklabels if the disk is currently partitioned with BSD disklabels. It
does not look at which firmware started the OS and make a choice from
there, but rather looks at the existing partition scheme. So, if you could
get the Debian installer to look at which firmware started the OS, you'd
be a significant step ahead!

--rdp

Rich Payne
rpayne@alphalinux.org			www.alphalinux.org