Re: Install report (pre-2.2.6 CVS)

On Tue, 8 Feb 2000, David Huggins-Daines wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I got a chance to install my set of boot floppies (which is just before
> 2.2.6, and more or less the same as Christian Meder's except for the initial
> boot process) on an AlphaServer DS10 today.  It was an ... interesting ...
> experience.

[snip]

> 8) I still do not understand why we have both console-tools and kbd, and why
> dselect wanted to install kbd.  Then, console-tools' postinst hung - it said
> "you have not selected a keymap, so I will use the default", and spawned
> kbdconfig.  When I answer the kbdconfig prompt, it just sits there.  (Might
> I add that kbdconfig is really evil on powerpc and m68k, since they
> don't always use standard PC keyboards, and thus reloading the "default"
> keymap mangles the keyboard layout horribly)

Both console-tools and kbd just sit there when configuring from dpkg
--configure, yet are fine running `kbdconfig' from the shell. It's been
doing that on my i386 boxen for about the last month. Oh, and dpkg
--configure also works when debconf is uninstalled (but that breaks the
rest of the system)

> 9) The apt configurator is really nice, however, it should be possible to
> skip apt configuration entirely (such as if network configuration has failed
> somehow, and thus no archives are accessible).  Also, it would be nice if
> you could also select non-US in the apt configuration (can you?  I couldn't
> see a way)

I couldn't either.