Re: Current laptop issues with 2.2.5

Sorry, I should have check the cvs log.

In <[🔎] 20000131183753.E22865@tausq.org>,
 at Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2000 18:37:53 -0700,
  on Subject: Re: Current laptop issues with 2.2.5,
   Randolph Chung <tausq@debian.org> writes:

> > In bootconfig.c, dbootstrap uses "/sbin/install-mbr <boot device>" command.
> > And the default boot partition for mbr is the "active" primary partition
> > in that boot device.
>
> right. i'm not sure if you were just agreeing with me, or if i'm missing
> some additional point you are trying to make though. sorry if it's the
> latter....

Thank you for your work. I misunderstood that the codes just you added
was there before you wrote that mail. Excuse me.

> > # The warning message is shown when user selects "No" at that prompt.
> > # "You have selected not to boot Debian as the default. ..."
>
> I just added this yesterday.

I agree to this change. Thanks.

> > But this default mbr/lilo combination of Debian is not well known
> > even for current Debian users, so maybe adding more detail information
> > is good thing, I think.
>
> Suggestions on where to put this info?

Maybe between the lines of

#if #cpu (i386)
  if ((is_first_ide(Root) || is_first_scsi(Root) ||

in make_bootable(void). e.g.

#if #cpu (i386)
    wideMessageBox(_("\nDebian uses mbr/LILO combination to boot up from the harddisk.
mbr will be installed into Master Boot Record of your first disk (from your BIOS),
and LILO will be installed into Partition Boot Record of your root partition, or
the extended partition if you use logical partition as the root filesystem.\n
You should make sure mbr can not boot up from the logical partition directly, nor
boot up from other devices than your first hard disk."),
            _("Notice about Boot Up from your Hard Disk"));

# Some one can think up better statement than this.

> This is again new, and only reenabled recently.

Sorry, I just did not notice that you changed this.
  # I think your change should work well.

> I think we need to do something along the lines of:
> If the user selects to install onto /dev/hdb or /dev/sdb or something like
> that (not the first device) then it needs to optionally allow the user to
> write the mbr and lilo info to /dev/hda (or /dev/sda)... I'm no lilo expert
> tho.

For SCSI disk, it maybe somewhat complex. Some user can select his
"first" disk by changing the SCSI bios setup at the booting.
So in that case, installed mbr on /dev/sdb can work. But, ah, LILO
can not understand the changed environment, and load the sectors
from the wrong disk, maybe.

Except that condition, your idea is right, I think.

--
  Taketoshi Sano: <sano@debian.org>,<sano@debian.or.jp>,<kgh12351@nifty.ne.jp>