Re: 2.2.14 changes committed

Hi. Sorry for disturbing you.

I sent this mail to Richard and Herbert also, as I think
we should consult this to the maintainer of kernel-image,
the maintainer of pcmcia-modules, and the release manager for potato.

In <[🔎] 20000120201118.C1381@tausq.org>,
 at Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2000 20:11:18 -0700,
  on Subject: 2.2.14 changes committed,
   Randolph Chung <tausq@debian.org> writes:

> per aph's request, i've just checked in changes so that boot floppies cvs
> now builds with 2.2.14 kernels on i386. This may require manually
> downloading the kernel-image-2.2.14 debs from incoming. I'm not sure if
> they've been installed yet, and we are having our post-freeze-pre-release
> master crashes....

At the time of writing this mail, kernel-image-2.2.14_2.2.14-1_i386.deb is
installed only into unstable, and there are no 2.2.14 for i386 in frozen.

But current Makefile for boot-floppies uses 2.2.14 kernel for i386.
Is this OK ? Can this boot-floppies for potato use the package from woody ?

Maybe some solution is required. I hope the 2.2.14 kernel can go into frozen
as well as woody.

 # kernel-image-2.2.14-compact_2.2.14-2_i386.deb is installed in frozen,
 # not in "base" section but "devel" section. Ah, this is not problem.
 # Just to note it takes some time for me to found this.

And, I think pcmcia-modules-2.2.14 and pcmcia-modules-2.2.14-compat seem
to be required for current boot-floppies. pcmcia-modules-2.2.14 is installed
into frozen already. This is OK, and it works for boot-floppies, I think.

But, where can we found the pcmcia-modules-2.2.14-compat ?

These lines below are quoted from current Makefile of boot-floppies.

  | # find the newest kernel image of each type
  | kernel  := $(shell $(pathcmd:P=kernel-image-$(kver)_*.deb))
  | # sanity fallback for kernel
  | ifeq ($(strip $(kernel)),)
  | kernel  := kernel-image-$(kver)_$(kver)-1.deb
  | endif
  |
  | pcmcia_package          := $(shell $(pathcmd:P=pcmcia-modules-$(kver)_*.deb))
  |
  | #### i386 part
  | kerneli386_compact := $(shell $(pathcmd:P=kernel-image-$(kver)-compact_*.deb))
  | pcmciai386_compact := $(shell $(pathcmd:P=pcmcia-modules-$(kver)-compact_*.deb))

So, pcmcia-modules-2.2.14-compat_*.deb seems to be required, I think.

Ah, now just I found these mail:

 ===
  | Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2000 15:37:47 -0700
  | From: Randolph Chung <tausq@debian.org>

  | 1. PCMCIA support is broken. drow said he might help take a look.
  |
  | 2. related to that, we don't have correct versions of pcmcia modules for the
  |    kernels used on boot floppies. I am not sure who the pcmcia-modules
  |    maintainer is. For now, you can use the debs at
  |    http://lully.debian.org/~tausq/unofficial-debs/. Because of modversions,
  |    the pcmcia modules must match the kernel-image you are using.
  |    This actually brings up a related issue, in that it is difficult for users
  |    to add their own driver modules if they need them.

 ===
  | Date: 24 Jan 2000 00:53:33 -0500
  | From: Adam Di Carlo <adam@onshore.com>

  | Excellent work.  I've been sick and a bit out of it, but this summary
  | helps a lot.
  |
  | > 1. PCMCIA support is broken. drow said he might help take a look.
  |
  | I've heard tell it works.
  |
  | > 2. related to that, we don't have correct versions of pcmcia modules for the
  | >    kernels used on boot floppies. I am not sure who the pcmcia-modules
  | >    maintainer is.
  |
  | The pkg  to file the bug against  is pcmcia-modules-2.2.14 (substitute
  | kernel version there).  The maintainer is Brian Mays <brian@debian.org>.

  | >    For now, you can use the debs at
  | >    http://lully.debian.org/~tausq/unofficial-debs/. Because of
  | >    modversions, the pcmcia modules must match the kernel-image you
  | >    are using.  This actually brings up a related issue, in that it
  | >    is difficult for users to add their own driver modules if they
  | >    need them.
  |
  | That's what pcmcia-source is for, and kernel-package (modules-image
  | rule), no?

  | > 6. The "small" boot floopies I mentioned earlier are now renamed 'compact' to
  | >    be consistent with the package.. not sure why i didn't call it
  | >    that to start with. In any case, it has been tested by several
  | >    people and (other than the above common problems) seem to
  | >    work. For those who missed what this is -- it's a kernel built
  | >    with only the essential modules. i.e. no joystick, fbdev, etc
  | >    stuff.
  |
  | Cool.  The kernel images are all uploaded, and either in Incoming or
  | else in the potato archive, right?

 ===
  | Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2000 23:54:35 -0700
  | From: Randolph Chung <tausq@debian.org>

  | I think the only thing we really need are pcmcia-modules that are built
  | against the kernel-image-2.2.14 source in incoming, and the
  | kernel-image-2.2.14-compact source. The problem is that because our kernels
  | use modversions, everytime a kernel is updated we need to recompile pcmcia
  | stuff. i think this is really annoying, but i'm assuming there is a reason
  | we use modversions...
  |
  | > Argh.  Is this so for compact as well as the stock images?
  |
  | yes. i can rebuild some debs for us to build 2.2.5. How about if we worry
  | about getting them into the archive proper later, after it's tested and we
  | are sure they work?

 ===
  | Date: 24 Jan 2000 19:19:18 -0500
  | From: Adam Di Carlo <adam@onshore.com>

  | > I think the only thing we really need are pcmcia-modules that are built
  | > against the kernel-image-2.2.14 source in incoming, and the
  | > kernel-image-2.2.14-compact source. The problem is that because our kernels
  | > use modversions, everytime a kernel is updated we need to recompile pcmcia
  | > stuff. i think this is really annoying, but i'm assuming there is a reason
  | > we use modversions...
  |
  | Yes -- but inherent in PCMCIA is very tight coupling between the
  | kernel config and the pcmcia config.  In fact, in 2.4.x, PCMCIA ships
  | with the kernel so the pcmcia-modules-* package will probably go away.

  | > > Argh.  Is this so for compact as well as the stock images?
  | >
  | > yes. i can rebuild some debs for us to build 2.2.5. How about if we worry
  | > about getting them into the archive proper later, after it's tested and we
  | > are sure they work?
  |
  | I don't understand --- why is there any reason *not* to upload the
  | kernel-image-2.2.14-compact images to potato *now*?  I don't think
  | there is any reason.  As for "being tested" -- it will be tested far
  | more once you have uploaded it to the standard place (Incoming).
  |
  | So please upload proper 2.2.14-compact pkgs if at all possible.

I think if kernel-image-2.2.14-compact should be installed into potato,
then the corresponding pcmcia-modules-2.2.14-compact should be also.
Otherwise, we can't use compact flavor on i386.

Thanks.

--
  Taketoshi Sano: <sano@debian.org>,<sano@debian.or.jp>,<kgh12351@nifty.ne.jp>