Re: Some comments for a smarter installation

Frank Knappe <knappe@tu-harburg.de> writes:

> 1. Prepared profiles:
> A nice think but the realization isn't perfect. I choosed the
> scientific workstation. This yields in a lot of programs for the
> same purpose. One example: I had now emacs19, emacs20 and xemacs20.
> This is at least one *macs to much. Why not add some additional
> questions, in which somebody could choose his favorite programs?
> A completly manual installation via dselect isn't useable for
> a newbie.

This has been gutted for potato.  I suspect that in potato the profile
system is not going to be all that great -- but at least we're using a
system we can build on and improve incrementally.  Anyone can add new
tasks by creating a metapackage, calling 'task-<whatever>'.  Run the
'tasksel' command (from the pkg with the same name) to see the task
selector.  You can use this at any time, not just install time.

If you have bugs or comments about particular tasks, please file
particular bugs.

> 2. During the installtion process a had to answer a lot of boring
> questions in unregular intervals. Why not collect all these questions
> and ask them at once.

debconf is for this purpose.  It won't be until woody release that
this is truly integrated throughout Debian.

> 3. sources.list
> It would be nice if a sample file for this exists. Perhaps with
> the following structure:
> # stable binaries and sources (master and a few important mirrors)
> # security updates
> A wishlist bug against apt is under way.

In the base-config pkg, there is a system that configures apt's
sources list for you.  This is invoked during install.  file bugs
against that pkg if you have comments.

> 4. During the installation process a kernel will be compiled. This kernel
> includes some modules. If you later compile your own kernel without any
> modules then you get you get warnings during the boot process.
> What can you do against this? A better documentation in kernel-package?

I don't understand this one...  We don't compile kernels during the
install process ...