jfbterm support (Re: [Adam Di Carlo <adam@onshore.com>] Re: framebuffer)

Hi.

In <[🔎] 20000117231234.A4030@transas.com>,
 at Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2000 23:12:34 +0300,
  on Subject: Re: [Adam Di Carlo <adam@onshore.com>] Re: framebuffer,
   Michael Sobolev <mss@transas.com> writes:

mss> I believe this is the problem with Japanese (and, possibly, with Chinese and
mss> Korean).  There is no standard way to display japanese characters, that's
mss> where this patch comes from.
mss>
mss> No, I do not know whether it's really necessary. :)  Maybe in current situation
mss> where for every language we must create its own set of disks this is a workable
mss> solution.

Sorry, I have commit the patch from hattas, before reading the mails from Adam
and Michael. (with the modification to use the new feature of trim-mo in
pointerize 0.4, since it has been installed in frozen at master.debian.org.)

I have checked the code of bogl, but it seems for me that this needs
much work to be done, and I am afraid that this could not be done
in time for potato. currently bogl use .bdf (which is much bigger than
 compressed .pcf) fonts and converts them into .c (C source code),
and it may lack of the scheme to switch the fonts in according to the encoding
of text. (this is required when we use mixed Kanji/Kana/Alphabet text)

jfbterm can display Japanese/Hangle/CN-GB(not BIG5 now), so maybe this is not
so much a single-language specific solution, I think.

and if we can not use this, or any other solution, all the translation into
Japanese will go into vain. They can not be shown correctly if some terminal
work between the console and users.

# I tried to build "LINGUA=ja" boot-floppies today. it can boot up as well as,
# "LINGUA=C" floppies, but the messages in Japanese can not be read at all.
# I think the potato boot-floppies should be enable to display some readable
# messages at least.

if the name "_ja" is not adequate, then let's change that name
into something like "_mb" or "_multibyte".

That is my thought. Thanks.

--
  Taketoshi Sano: <sano@debian.org>,<sano@debian.or.jp>,<kgh12351@nifty.ne.jp>