Re: new after-boot config (long)

On Sat, Jan 08, 2000 at 04:50:26PM -0500, Daniel Burrows wrote:
>   (lurk mode off, hope it's not a mistake ;-) )
>
>   I really like most of this, and I hate to open a (nasty-smelling) can of
> worms, but:
>
> On Sat, Jan 08, 2000 at 02:14:08AM -0800, Joey Hess was heard to say:
> > Debian makes available some non-free software. though this software is not
> > part of Debian proper, it can be installed with apt. This software has
> > limitations on its distribution, modification, and/or use. Do you wish to
> > use this software?
> >
> > Use non-free software? [n]
>                          ^^^
> [snip]
>
> > Note that some of the questions, like stable/unstable, and "Use non-free
> > software?" are ommitted if the config is run at a higher priority. In fact,
> > if it is run with the highest possible priority, you see only 2 questions
> > plus the adduser, apt-setup, and the tasksel program. I'm working on
> > trimming that down to even fewer questions..
>
>   I think this could be a problem.  The people installing at higher priorities
> are more likely to be newbies, and are likely to need at least one program
> from non-free (netscape).  While I think I understand the reason you're
> defaulting that question to 'n', I think that either the default should be
> changed, or the question's priority should be upgraded (preferable, I think).
> Otherwise we're going to be deluged in complaints that people can't find
> netscape on a fresh Debian install..

For that matter, many newbies will see "use non-free software?", think
"ugh, I don't want to have to pay for anything", and choose no.

Of course, I know what it means, and you know what it means, but I spend
a fair amount of time answering questions on #debian@irc.debian.org, and
I'm already wincing at the number of complaining users this will generate...
I also understand, even support the decision that puts the default at [n],
but the description should probably be more explicit, even to the point of
mentioning netscape by name.

-- Nathaniel