Re: net-fetch (was Re: Uploaded boot-floppies 2.2.4 (source all) to master)

On Wed, Jan 05, 2000 at 08:39:00PM +0100, Marcel Harkema wrote:

> Op woensdag 05 januari 2000 rond 20:32 +0100 schreef Nils:
> > On Wed, 5 Jan 2000, Marcel Harkema wrote:
> >
> > >   Net-fetch hasn't been tested in practice, so I am quite curious whether it
> > >   works or not.
> >
> > I tried netfetch today. I didn't know it was new. It's cool enough, it
> > would be cooler if I didn't have to install all the driver disks...
> >
> > Anyway, there's a problem with it. I tried roughly 12-15 times to dl the
> > base2_2.tgz file. Every time, the download was interrupted at some point
> > between 6 and 9 MB. I thought there was a server problem, but I then
> > downloaded the file on another computer with Netscape, and put it on a
> > webserver which is local in our network. Installation from that location
> > worked without a problem.
> >
> > It was rather frustrating, really.
>
>   Yes, I really should improve the http fetcher.  I hope snarf support
>   arrives soon.
>
>   Groetjes,
>
>            Marcel

  Current version in CVS should work.  Installation of drivers/OS doesn't
  work because of several reasons (bugs, eth device modules, etc.).

  Expect a cleanup patch for 2.2.5 including messages to users, removal of
  unused code, better integration in dbootstrap.

  I can conform that the http fetcher in 2.2.4 is broken, also for
  installing the base system.  Please don't send reports about that.

  Cheers,

         Marcel

  Please send a Cc to me when replying to me on this mailinglist.