Re: overhauling modconf

On Tue, Jan 04, 2000 at 02:09:23PM +0000, Enrique Zanardi wrote:
> The problem with Configure.help is that it doesn't say much about module
> parameters (except some "See Documentation/foo on how to configure

In 2.2, though, it's fairly easy to snarf module parameters from the module
source, as they should be declared with MODULE_PARM().  There are also
MODULE_AUTHOR() and MODULE_DESCRIPTION() macros.

In fact...  these macros put that stuff in a special .modinfo section of the
object file, so you could theoretically query this information at runtime
(though very few modules use this yet).  I'm not sure if modutils has a
utility to extract this info, but there may be some useful code in modprobe.
Or you could be Evil (tm) and use objdump :)