Re: trimmed down rescue/root/driver disk sets

> Then we could provide scsi-pci and ide-pci i386 *flavors*, that is,
> additional rescue/root/driver disk sets for i386.  Ideally, 80% or
> better of *new* computer buyers could proceed to use these rescue/root
> disks to boot into a network-capable system, and then they could
> install the rest of the system (via ethernet, ppp, whatever) from a
> local server or even from http.us.debian.org.

It is actually possible to have ide+scsi+raid+pcmcia on
1root+1rescue+1driver. we may not need to worry about flavors unless
we want to support a lot more hardware configurations.

> I really suggest you look at Tom's Boot disk for inspiration, esp.,
> the way he's got the kernel compiled and what options are added in.

this is on my list of things to look at. right now i'm still just trying to
build something that works.

> You're going to have to *first* get the kernels built and uploaded for
> pci-scsi and ide-scsi, and ideally those should be in Debian itself as
> well, so that's the first place to start.

i posted url to debs this morning. i'm still working on some small
modifications. I will contact Herbert Xu and see how we can coordinate
different kernel-image packages, one for stock installs and one for boot
floppies.

randolph
--
Debian Developer <tausq@debian.org>