Re: #bug 52181 drivers installation

On Fri, Dec 31, 1999 at 09:00 -0700, Randolph Chung wrote:
> Marcel wrote:
> >   When I split the rescue disk in boot+root and the drivers disk in drivers
> >   1,2,3 all worked well.  The install script doesn't need to be modified.
> >   Dbootstrap takes care of joining the disks.
> >
> >   If it is no longer working please send me a report about it, and I will
> >   make sure it gets fixed.
>
> Please see bug#52181

  The bug report is bogus, unless I am missing something - which might be
  possible given the lack of coffee today, the coffee machines were turned
  off at the office - maybe they were scared of y2k problems ;).

  During the installation of the kernel and the modules, only the rescue
  disk (more specific the boot-floppy) is mounted as an msdos filesystem on
  i386.

  Mounting msdos is done by the function mount_and_check_floppy().  The only
  function that uses mount_and_check_floppy() is install_floppy().  The
  install_floppy() function is only used to install the rescue disk (the
  kernel from the boot-floppy).  The drivers are installed using
  install_floppies() that I added for that purpose, this function uses the
  same mechanism as the base system installation uses (catenating the
  floppies and then using tar to extract them).

  My best guess is that the user used an old dbootstrap to install the new
  driver floppies.

  Cheers,

         Marcel

--
Anyone who gets in between me and my morning coffee should be
insecure.  --RFC 2324 (7. Security Considerations)