Re: Potato from scratch. Thanks. (fwd)

Shaul Karl <shaulk@israsrv.net.il> writes:

> During the installation I checked the modules and to my surprise the ESS
> Solo 1 sound chip was also listed. Alas, the module couldn't be found, but
> that it not of such importance right now.

Huh.  That was listed in modconf but didn't exist?

> I got the ppp connections to my ISP working, but in the base system there
> is (again) no possibility to read man pages. I couldn't find the apt-get
> man page on the Debian homepage, so I'll fiddle a little myself later
> today.

'apt-get install man-db' should do it.

> But I've always wondered about one thing: how do you know the name
> of the package you want to install. At least with dselect you have a menu
> to search.

You can still use dselect (we suggest using it with the apt
acquisition method).

> But now I want to install X, so is "apt-get -d install X" right? Then how
> do I choose that the right server is being downloaded? This always puzzled
> me a bit, but I guess the answer will come in time :-)

Funny you ask.  We're looking at using a new system.  Try 'apt-get
install xviddetect', and then run anXious.  It should select/install
the right X server and walk you through windowmanager, xterm, etc
selection.  Check it out, and file bugs against xviddetect if there
are problems.

We're looking to integrate that into the system prior to release.