Re: Base shrinkage proposal

On Sun, Dec 19, 1999 at 12:36:15AM -0700, Randolph Chung wrote:

> files that are part of the base packages, but are not essential (much of
> locales,
>
> - Risks
>   Should be minimal if we start with docs, consolefonts, etc. In my
>   experiments that cuts base by about 2 floppies

Heh? Your effort is noble. But people are struggling for
boot-floppies i18n... please don't start removing this kind of
stuff. Perhaps remove ``non-essential'' consolefonts, eg, leave
off fonts for all possible and implemented encodings, but just
one of each, forgetting sizes etc. Remove all locale stuff that
won't be used by the installation procedure, but that requires
auditing what will be used and what won't. And so on.

[]s,
                                               |alo
                                               +----
                 Resistance is futile.