ptr to docs on building custom install disk/kernel

Hello all,

I'm looking for pointers to documentation on building your own debian
installation disk.  If this is not the correct mailing list for such
questions, please forgive my ignorance and kindly point me in the
right direction.

I'm going to be installing Debian (potato) on a new Athlon system and
I must build a custom kernel to support my SCSI card (Tekram DC-395
UW.)  I'm using the card in my current system, but only to support a
CDRW drive.  However, in the new system, I hope to boot off my SCSI
hard drive.  Support for this SCSI card requires a patched kernel.  [I
hope support for that model card will be integrated into the 2.4
series soon (older Tekram drivers are there.)]

I have the capability to burn a complete, custom installation CD if
need be, but I don't think I really need or want to.  I just need a
boot floppy with support for my SCSI hard drive and ethernet card and
apt-get, and then I will install the rest of the system incrementally
off the network.

I think I can manage building a regular "rescue/boot" floppy with my
custom kernel, but my real question is this: will that be sufficient
to install potato off the network, or do I need to build a real,
custom "Debian Installation" floppy and/or bootable CD?  In the past,
I've let the debian installation program handle stuff like setting up
the root filesystem, building /etc and other such chores.  I'm not
sure I'm up to the task.

Does anyone have any advice for me?

my sincere thanks,

---Preston