Re: Loop-mounted root

Sven Rudolph <sr1@loom.sax.de> writes:

> I remember there were some discussions on using a loop-mounted root file
> system for hosting an installation system.
>
> (Example: A CD contains a big file that contains a whole ext2 fs.)
>
> There were some Linux kernel patches for this. What's the current
> state of these patches and where are they. (Or are they already part
> of stock kernel?  I haven't found them there.)

If you use a ramdisk to boot up you can attach a file to a loppback
device with losetup and set the loopback device as
real_rool_dev. After that the kernel will boot from the loopback
device when /linuxrc finishes.

A script creating a filesystem able too be run from a CD can be found
at

ftp://mirjam.informatik.uni-tuebingen.de/pub/debian/demofs/

May the Source be with you.
			Goswin