Re: directory structure

Adam Di Carlo wrote:
> Eric Delaunay <delaunay@lix.polytechnique.fr> writes:
>
> > > This is interesting -- would be good to do.  I'm not sure symlinks are
> > > safe to use, however.  I guess they are -- I think we want to avoid
> > > symlinks for the i386 version, however (since they aren't represented
> > > well in DOS, i.e., for people installing from DOS).
>
> > Not a problem when using RR extensions but I'm pretty sure they are not seemed
> > under DOS (they appear only in RR records).  So we could use hardlinks
> > instead.  mkisofs is handling them quite well (no duplicates).
>
> Well -- you can't hardlink directories, unfortunately.

Hmm, even if directories are not hardlinked to each other, the files they
contain could be.  It seems my Debian/SPARC CD is burnt like that (all files
under disks-sparc/2.1.8.1-1999-03-01 & disks-sparc/current are sharing the same
iso9960 inode, so they don't occupy twice the required size).

# du -s /cdrom
596714  /cdrom
# df /cdrom
Filesystem         1024-blocks  Used Available Capacity Mounted on
/dev/scd0             553552  553552        0    100%   /cdrom

596714-553552 = 43162 = approx the size of disks-sparc/current (41713).

It was built using slink-cd and mkisofs with farm symlinks patch.

> Since this is for sparc, it doesn't really matter, does it?  I'm
> trying to think of reasonable cases where sparc symlinks would get
> munged by DOS limitations...

Not using symlinks, which are only visible if RockRidge is supported, would
ease a DOS user to get & write its boot disks from the CDROM floppy images.

Regards.