extract kernel, modules, base -- annoying aspect of dbootstrap

Well, I'm becoming more and more annoyed by the whole system that
dbootstrap uses, for instance, in choose_medium.c, to determine from
where to extract the kernel (rescue.bin), modules, and base.

For one, the system is contorted, code-wise.

For two, the system is opaque.  It doesn't respond with error messages
very well when it can't find one or more files.  It should log where
it's looking so the user can fix things..

For three, it doesn't handle errors very well.  I pointed it at an
empty rescue.bin by accident recently, harddisk option, and it then
gave a failure message (wrong disk, since it couldn't find type.txt),
and asked me to insert another floppy!  But I wasn't working from
floppy!

Fourthly, it has to be adapted to autosense subarchitectures and such.

Fifthly, the whole 'list vs manually' thing is awkward for the user.
I think it should try the 'list' method automatically looking in
reasonable locations, then either present a list of likely candidates,
or else go to manual.

Sixthly, it should autosense std CDs, IMHO.

Seventhly, ideally, it should have a little dir viewer to help with
manual selection...

Argh.  Comments? Suggestions?