LINGUA (was Re: Debian Boot Floppies CVS: boot-floppies aph)

Adam Di Carlo <adam@onshore.com> writes:

> Hartmut.Koptein@t-online.de (Hartmut Koptein) writes:
> > I wantto know where its break, if we have more then one defined.
>
> Yeah -- but as we discussed in IRC, breaking everyone's build is not a
> good thing...

I don't even think that changing the meaning of LINGUA to mean "all
the languages supported" is a good idea.  You should set another
variable for that.

Perhaps someone familiar with the new i18n/l10n stuff can please
clarify to me:

  * I can understand why we need a variable holding the set of known
    languages, but why not use another variable for that?  Or perhaps
    LINGUA would become obsolete, so why not recycle it?

  * Is it meaningful to ask about a "primary" language?

  * Dn't we need character encodings in LINUGA too?

> I'll add a todo entry about where I think LINGU="C es ..." will break
> things.

It breaks at least *.sh and documentation/Makefile.

I've been asked to change the way the documentation Makefile is
invoked such that it builds documentation for all known languages....
I'll go ahead and do that.