Re: where to but the disk images and tarballs

Bruce Sass <bsass@freenet.edmonton.ab.ca> writes:

> platform/special/subarch/format
>
> where...
> "platform" is one of: alpha i386 m68k powerpc sparc

This is irrelevant -- all the stuff is already in 'disks-<platform>'.

> "special" is for stuff like alt-kernel-version

Yeah -- optional.

> "subarch" is a set:

Optional.

> # i386
>
> safe

This is special, not arch.

> # sparc

sun4u and default.  How to deal with that?

> "format" is one of: tgz 2880 1440 1200 720

Ew.  I don't like this ... for one, tgz should remain 'common'.  I
just don't like tgz.

> So, you would find the files needed to setup a Miata box files under:
> alpha/miata/1440/{base-{1,2,...},driver-{1,2,3},root,rescue,boot}
> or
> alpha/miata/tgz/{base,driver,root,rescue,boot}

You forget the extension.

> and for i386:
>
> i386/safe/1440/...
> i386/alt-kernel/1440/...

Keep it 8.3.

> i386/alt-kernel/1200/...
> i386/alt-kernel/720/...
> i386/alt-kernel/safe/1440/...
>
> Are there any disk images or tarballs that will not fit under this
> scheme?

I like my scheme better.  It's similar.  I do like the way you have
special and subarch broken out.  Let me reformulate my scheme:

 [special/][subarch/]format/file

To recast your i386 example:

  common/...
  disks-2.88/...
  disks-1.44/...
  disks-1.20/...
  safe/1440/...
  raid/disks-1.44/...
  raid/disks-1.20/...
  raid/safe/disks-1.440/...
  cmdfoo/disks-1.44/...
  cmdfoo/disks-1.20/...
  cmdfoo/safe/disks-1.440/...

Rationale:

  format should have 'disks-' prefix to show it's a format, not a
    subarch.

  common is common to lots of possibilities

  keep dir tree as shallow as possible

  retain 8.3 compat w/o causing non degerate OS's to suffer