Re: Apropos README-OVERVIEW

Marcin Owsiany <porridge@pandora.info.bielsko.pl> writes:

> I mean a situation where LILO is set up wrong, not hardware failures
> or something. Since LILO installation is a critical part of every
> setup, especially when you don't make a floppy as well. IF one sets
> up LILO wrong for any reason (be it his/her lack of knowledge, of
> English, of his hardware (the famous 1023 cyls. "feature")), he/she
> _HAS TO REPEAT EVERYTHING_ up to the installation of LILO.

> And it is not just a hypothesis, i had such problem once.

Why?  Couldn't you just boot from the rescue disk in 'rescue' mode and
recover this way?  I have fixed broken lilo.confs this way many
times...

I agree with you that I would not *at* *this* *point* make "rebootless
installation" the default, but i think it's a really nice sexy option
which we should allow as an option as soon as it is feasible.

I also agree that the lilo installation is hell and I wish I had
confidence that someone was trying to patch up matters for potato.
For woody (that is, next distro) I am hoping we'll have a
cross-platform solution which is more dynamic such as grub.

> > Note also that the reboot is not really needed, as you can do all the rest
> > of the installation by restarting the new init from chroot in the target
> > root.
>
> that's interesting, i think i'll try that myself next time.

Yup yup yup -- wouldn't rebootless installation rock the world?  I
just installed Win98/vmware last week and I swear it musta rebooted 8
times all told (after getting video drivers, network, and all that
setup).

> However it is only possible to do such things if you know something about
> the system. And please believe me: it is a shock for a newbie (especially
> windoze-converted one) to install a boot loader - i know of lots of people
> who load Linux from a floppy only because they are scared to install LILO.

Lilo sucks, I agree, see above.