Re: Apropos README-OVERVIEW

> In README-OVERVIEW Enrique says that 'simple tasks' like setting root's
> password, creating user might be performed before first reboot.
>
> IMHO, this is not a good thing to do. I know these are simple tasks but it
> reminds me of my early RH installation where one does everything before
> first reboot including selecting packages, and installing them
> only to find out that unfortunately the system is unbootable because LILO is
> setup wrong - either because of lack of knowledge or a hard setup which LILO
> doesn't handle automatically.
> I know that LILO can be set up using some boot floppy afterwards without
> reinstalling, but this is impossible for a newbie to perform.
>
> Just my opinion - IMHO as little as possible should be done before the first
> reboot.

What does it change if the system hangs before or after performing these
things? If the system is misconfigured or there are hardware problems it
won't work anyway.

Personally I prefer that things are done as soon as possible so that if
there is any problem I have most of the system already configured and
hopefully working in some way.

Note also that the reboot is not really needed, as you can do all the rest
of the installation by restarting the new init from chroot in the target
root. I'm installing debian without reboot since version 2.0 and I can say
that it is much easier to fix an almost configured system than one which is
almost unconfigured and missing many common utilities and packages.

--
Massimo Dal Zotto

|  Massimo Dal Zotto               email: dz@cs.unitn.it               |
|  Via Marconi, 141                phone: ++39-0461534251              |
|  38057 Pergine Valsugana (TN)      www: http://www.cs.unitn.it/~dz/  |
|  Italy                             pgp: finger dz@tango.cs.unitn.it  |