Re: Debian Boot Floppies CVS: boot-floppies polish

On Fri, Nov 19, 1999 at 10:42:53AM +0100, Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:
> On Friday 19 November 1999, at 12 h 34, the keyboard of Michael Sobolev
> <mss@transas.com> wrote:
>
> > Hmmm...  Actually, the first file was russian.xml :)
>
> ezili:~/Debian-CVS/boot-floppies/utilities/language-chooser> xmlwf russian.xml
> russian.xml:3:10: not well-formed
>
> :-(
Yes, I know.

> I believe we should not work with XML files which are not well-formed. This
> destroys the whole advantage of using XML. For instance, it forbids to use any
> tool we choose, since most will choke on these illegal files.
I agree with you here.  There is one problem though.  I do not have a good
editor that works with utf-8 (vim does not support it as by now :).  It's not
possible to configure the working environment to comply with ru_RU.UTF-8 (one
reason is that glibc does not correctly support multi-byte locales).  So for
preparing Russian file I would need to convert it from KOI8-R (as I use this
character set) into UTF-8 and only then try to validate the resulting file.
I have no problems with that.  Should I do it that way?

--
Mike