Re: Language support

> > > 1.  Messages for dbootstrap.  At the moment we have 14 languages. Every
> > >     language is about 32K in trm format what gives us about 470K (too much!).
> > >     But if we compress it's only 160K.
> > >
> > > 2.  We do not need any keyboard map here (almost everywhere only up and down
> > >     arrows and enter keys are used + English words (like system name etc))
> > >
> > > 3.  We do need fonts to display those messages.  12 of them are using latin
> > >     characters of some kind plus Russian that uses KOI8-R, plus Japanese that
> > >     uses something quite special :).  LatArCyrHeb covers 13 languages, what
> > >     gives us 4K plus a couple of Ks for acms (that are needed!).  I do not
> > >     know how large Japanese fonts are.
> > >
> > > That's all.  This gives 170K without Japanese stuff.  Is it too much?  I heard
> > > there were successful experiments with 2,8M images.  These are certainly
> > > suitable for CD booting.  We must provide multilanguage installation in this
> > > case, though we may want to provide a special image (root disk??) for every
> > > supported language.
> >
> >  So we need 14 versions of boot-floppies for each architecture? Not nice ...
> Sorry, I do not quite catch your point: where I said it's needed 14 disks?  We do

 only if we can't doit for potato with one floppy ... not in time ...

> need one disk for each architechture!  We just have to copy additional 170K to
> each, and these 170K allow us to select a language.

Yes, thats the right direction.

> >  For a floppy based setup only C is ok, but for CDRom we should support all
> >  14 languages. CD into the cdrom, reset (Bios changes), reset, autoboot and
> >  the first table is then:
> >

> >         -------------------------
> >         | English               |
> >         | Franch                |
> >         | Deutsch               |
> >         | ...                   |
> >         -------------------------      Entries in there native language
> I am not sure that everything will work this way.  That's why I asked (in other
> message) how the things get loaded.  There are two scenarios:
>
>     -- current.  right after loading syslinux presents the user with a possibility
>        to specify a set of additional parameters for the kernel.  at the same time,
>        the user may browse additional information using F1-F10.  In this case, we
>        just *have* to provide one image for every language, as, if I understand
>        correctly, syslinux is not localizable.

This setup is before linux is loaded. I prefer it after loading linux, because syslinux
is only available for i386 (and alpha?). Other loaders for != ia32 aren't so comfortable.

>     -- a new one. :)  syslinux (or other boot loader) loads default kernel without
>        waiting for *any* user input.  right after that the user is presented with
>        a menu of possible languages (localized environments), and then she tries
>        to configure her kernel (by adding necessary modules).
>        UNFORTUNATELY, I do not know whether this is ever possible.  I believe
>        there are devices for which drivers should be compiled-in.

Yup, this is the way we should go, and it is possible. It's more or less the same way
as to select keyboards and mices.

> >  But what then?  All languages included or dynamic loaded ?
> Included and dynamic loaded. :)

 Greetings,

       Hartmut