Re: Language support

> > This was discussed a couple of months ago. The problem is that the data
> > for all the languages doesnt fit on the disk, therefore you have to make
> > specific boot-images for each language. The proposal long ago was to
> > integrate the selection of keyboard and suggest the aproriate language.
>
> Hmm...  What data is needed?
>
> 1.  Messages for dbootstrap.  At the moment we have 14 languages. Every
>     language is about 32K in trm format what gives us about 470K (too much!).
>     But if we compress it's only 160K.
>
> 2.  We do not need any keyboard map here (almost everywhere only up and down
>     arrows and enter keys are used + English words (like system name etc))
>
> 3.  We do need fonts to display those messages.  12 of them are using latin
>     characters of some kind plus Russian that uses KOI8-R, plus Japanese that
>     uses something quite special :).  LatArCyrHeb covers 13 languages, what
>     gives us 4K plus a couple of Ks for acms (that are needed!).  I do not
>     know how large Japanese fonts are.
>
> That's all.  This gives 170K without Japanese stuff.  Is it too much?  I heard
> there were successful experiments with 2,8M images.  These are certainly
> suitable for CD booting.  We must provide multilanguage installation in this
> case, though we may want to provide a special image (root disk??) for every
> supported language.

 So we need 14 versions of boot-floppies for each architecture? Not nice ...

 For a floppy based setup only C is ok, but for CDRom we should support all
 14 languages. CD into the cdrom, reset (Bios changes), reset, autoboot and
 the first table is then:

        | English               |
        | Franch                |
        | Deutsch               |
        -------------------------      Entries in there native language

 But what then?  All languages included or dynamic loaded ?

 MfG,

    Hartmut