Fonts and related question

Could anybody explain what fonts and on what basis we are using in
boot-floppies?  I mean the set on the rescue floppy.

And another question what is the reason of our using syslinux? :) I just want
to understand the reasoning behind it.  BTW, what alternatives we have (given
that very special set of feature that made our using syslniux)?

I seem to remember somebody talking about different way the rescue floppy
is supposed to boot, like there will be no need for adding parameters for
kernel etc.  Was it for real?  Or I just take desired for real?

--
Mike