Re: installing debian onto a loopback mounted root fs

Chris Cheney <ccheney@cheney.cx> writes:

> [1  <text/plain; us-ascii (7bit)>]
> Has anyone looked into installing debian into a loopback mounted
> root partition?  For example having a fileon a fat fs that contains
> all of linux, to avoid having to repartition the hard drive.  This
> seems like it could be very useful for new users wanting to try out
> linux but do not understand how to repartition a drive or don't want
> to risk resizing it.

I´m working on something similar, a live-filesystem. It boots via
bootdisk, CD or loadlin.exe and tries to find a partition or cdrom
containing the live-filesystem as loopback file. That gets attached to
a loopback device and then the booting continues from there.

The reason for a loopback device is that I want to use the e2xt
compression filesystem to reduce the size and to have the loopback
file on any filesystem including dos.

May the Source be with you.