Re: Current CVS builds AND runs (sorta)

On Tue, Nov 02, 1999 at 04:32:57PM -0700, Erik Andersen wrote:
> On Tue Nov 02, 1999 at 04:04:19PM -0700, Matt Porter wrote:
> > I just checked in some changes so that dbootstrap cooperates with the new
> > busybox.  This bloats the rootdisk a bit more so archs (other than powerpc)
> > may have to up the limit in the Makefile.  There's definitely space wasted
> > since dbootstrap now is a separate binary which still links with some
> > busybox objects...
>
> If folks prefer it, I'm definately open to reunifying
> dbootstrap and busybox if it will save space.

I don't think this is wise right now.  After we get boot-floppies running
again and add the new features of ftp/http and dhcp support we can
evaluate where things are.  If space is a problem then it will be worth
the time to optimize the dbootstrap and busybox binaries among other things
(like fixing library reduction on other platforms).  Right now I have about
100k of compressed space available on the powerpc root disk which means
x86 must have slightly more free space.

Dropping the new busybox into boot-flopppies has had the good effect of
forcing us to see how dependent we had become on busybox internals.  We
definitely need to correct this even if it isn't for potato.  I'd like
to pull the last internal dependencies out eventually so that busybox is
a module that can be dropped in when a new upstream version is made
available.

--
Matt Porter
mmporter@home.com