Re: Updates to ash and busybox

> > The trick is to unmount everything except / and /target and then remount
> > /proc and all the mounts previously configured in the new fstab from inside
> > the chroot. This seems to work well, in the sense that you can install the
> > rest of the system and run the various applications as they were run from a
> > real root. The only program which notices some difference is squid.
>
> That way / will never be umounted, which doesn´t hurd so much for a
> ramdisk. The reason that /target is umounted correctly is that when it
> tries to umount / (the ramdisk) the linux will umount /target instead.
>
> Its still not as good as using the initrd feature, which will also
> free the ramdisk from memory.

I tried to do this with an initrd but I had some problems because the init
started by linuxrc has pid >> 1 and the init I was using at that time didn't
like it (it was a real init, not the busybox). I will retry with the busybox
init.

> > Note also that you don't want to exit from the chroot after you have mounted
> > other filesystems on it and started a lot of standard services. The only way
> > to get out of it should be a real reboot. The jump into the target chroot is
> > one-way and you shouldn't be allowed to go back. So the chroot can't be used
> > for testing inside a running system but only for a real debian installation.
> > This is one of the reasons why I dropped the dinstall, written in C, and made
> > a new installer in zsh. Much easier to write and it can be debugged from a
> > ramdisk.
>
> Hey, didn´t bo have a ash script to install stuff and then it go
> rewritten in c? :)
>
> But zsh is nice for programming, far better than bash with its
> wordsplit and minimal debug output. In bash you allways forget the ""
> or \\ and get splitting or substitution when using variables.

I haven't seen the old ash install script, but in my opinion having rewritten
it in C has been a bad move, for all the above reasons. Now that we can use a
1.44MB root floppy we should consider again the zsh option.

--
Massimo Dal Zotto

|  Massimo Dal Zotto               email: dz@cs.unitn.it               |
|  Via Marconi, 141                phone: ++39-0461534251              |
|  38057 Pergine Valsugana (TN)      www: http://www.cs.unitn.it/~dz/  |
|  Italy                             pgp: finger dz@tango.cs.unitn.it  |