Re: hardware detection (LOTHAR) and partiton editer (parted)

"Glenn McGrath" <Glenn.McGrath@jcu.edu.au> writes:

> Mandrake linux have been devoloping a GPL'ed heardware detection suite for
> around 6 months or so, its called Lothar, its at
> http://www.linux-mandrake.com/lothar/  its around versio 0.9 or so now.

Thanks, gotta glance at it.

> The main goal of this is to provide a X-windows based detection and
> configuration of hardware.
> but there is also a concole version that could be very handy for boot disks
> i guess.

The bootdisks won´t fit it, but for cd installation and my demofs
stuff it should be helpfull if it works.

> In a boot disk from a console version it should be possible to scan the
> system hardware and from that detirmine what modules need to be installed to
> the system.
>
> Another thing that would be handy would be partition managment software,
> like fsresize (to allow non-destructive resizeing of fat and fat32
> partitions.

ftp://linux.mathematik.tu-darmstadt.de/pub/linux/distributions/debian/dists/potato/main/binary-i386/otherosfs/fsresize_0.07-1.deb

Its all there, just gotta look. :)

> There is a GNU program called parted (partition editor)
> http://www.gnu.org/software/parted that uses fsresize and ext2resize, its
> pretty  early, it runs from console.

Beware, its programmed badly and has some serious left outs in there
that will just work on i386 and with luck. Falk Hueffner fixed it to
at least work on Alpha, but I don´t know if he send patches and if hey
got incorporated into the source yet.

> These would be great features for installing a new system, but neither of
> these programs has a debian package as yet (anyone want to volunteer to do
> it before feature freeze?)
>
> Maybe these should be seen as long term goals rather than ruching them into
> potato

Parted is alpha I would say, but fsresize looks good. But don´t ask a
newbee to use that without frontend.

May the Source be with you.
			Goswin