Re: base2_2 on Atari

[CC to debian-boot on request :-) See ************ section ...
Please CC me on replies as I don't read debian-boot regularly]

> > - tried to configure the 2.2 base from a 2.1 ramdisk. No go, it attempts
> > to run sed off the disk and sed fails to load with a ld error (missing
> > symbol, I can rerun that but I think it was the usual culprit)
>
> That kind of sucks ... FWIW configuring the 2.2 base from the 2.2 ramdisk
> definitely works.

No doubt :-) That's just a sample libc 2.0.7 - 2.1.x mismatch (and I'd
have guessed sed doesn't suffer from particular problems). We need a Big
Fat Warning (tm) on the 2.2 install kit: use matching installer and base
tarball (or know damn well what you're doing).

But I'm happily installing single packages using apt-get now. Gotta love
Debian for that, especially after some RH experience ...

*************

> > - Selecting either of List or T.List fails with the error
> >
> > /root/pkgsel: [ : too many arguments
> > (I _love_ bash)
>
> Hm - please forward to debian-boot, I have no interest in pkgsel :)

To whoever it may concern at debian-boot: the above error happens on
selecting either package list, task list or custom in the initial install
profile selection after first booting from disk. Or on pretty much any
action in pkgsel, for that matter.

*************

> > I haven't found an immediately obvious problem with pkgsel but I'll try
> > a bit more. What glibc2.1 based packages are available to build a
> > development system?
>
> deb http://eradicator.org/debian m68k-glibc2.1/
>
> :)

I had to try once or twice (and especially kill the non-us and security
entries in sources.list), maybe a typo. It ignores Release but seems happy
with the rest.

> That has all that you need, I've been compiling stuff quite successfully
> (including glibc now) with the compiler there.  (It includes Roman's NMU
> patch for the PIC generation problem)  You also want the libstdc++ and
> libstdc++-dev from there too at least.

Got everything (and with blazing 30k/sec). But I'll need more stuff for
building (debhelper probably, and dpkg-whatever). That should be fine from
any source. I'll install sbuild as soon as possible here.

	Michael