Re: kernel problem: Booting with initrd and init fails

On Tue, Oct 26, 1999 at 12:12:27AM +0200 , Goswin Brederlow wrote:
[snip]
> If I understand that right, the initrd feature will execute /linuxrc
> and if thats done will continue booting as if no ramdisk where present
> (well, not exactly but from the point of starting init). Therefore my
> above settings should first start /linuxrc from the ramdisk, then
> remount the real root device and start /bin/ash. But it will start
> /sbin/init just as if no init= where given.

Oh, I thought you wanderd that /linuxrc was run it the initrd. My fault.

> Looks like a bug in the kernel or the manpage.

I think that the init= should be passwd along even when using initrd.

> Would it make sense to introduce a variable called "linuxrc" to change
> what gets started when an initial ramdisk is used or should init

I don't think this is needed, but

> change that behaviour? What do you think?

the setting of init should be honored after mounting the real root

				Petr Cech
--
Debian GNU/Linux maintainer - www.debian.{org,cz}
           cech@atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz