Re: kernel problem: Booting with initrd and init fails

On Sun, Oct 24, 1999 at 09:11:47PM +0200 , Goswin Brederlow wrote:
> I have the following entry in my syslinux.cfg:
>
> LABEL demo
>         APPEND vga=0x791 load_ramdisk=1 initrd=root.bin init=/bin/ash
>         KERNEL linux
>
> That should load a ramdisk during boot but startx /bin/ash instead of
> /sbin/init or /linuxrc. Instead it will startx /linuxrc and if that

see /usr/src/linux/init/main.c do_linuxrc() and and relevant part of
start_kerenl() - it runs do_linuxrc with /linuxrc as a parameter.

> and /sbin/init are missing it tries to remount / as specified in the
> kernel.
>
> Does anyone know if thats normal behaviour or just some unthpught
> collision of boot parameters?

it's normal behaviour. In initrd it runs /linuxrc and then tries to remount
root.

				Petr Cech
--
Debian GNU/Linux maintainer - www.debian.{org,cz}