"debian": Re: bootp, dhcp, etc

Dunno why he sent this to me directly...

------- Forwarded Message

From: "debian" <Glenn.McGrath@jcu.edu.au>
To: "Adam Di Carlo" <adam@onshore.com>
Subject: Re: bootp, dhcp, etc
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 1999 02:14:30 +1000
Sender: root@burrito.onshore.com

> I'm curious what our bootp/dhcp support strategy is...
>
> There seems to be a number of competeing pacakges, such as pump,
> dhcp_client, etc.  I'm not sure which we should pick.
>
> Are there any bootp/dhcp experts here?  Should I cry out for some on
> Debian-devel?
>
> --
> .....Adam Di Carlo....adam@onShore.com.....<URL:http://www.onShore.com/>

dhclient is by far the most powerful dhcp client

I dont think there is much difference beten dhcpcd and pump, except that
dhcpcd has been around for a few years, wheras pump is only a few months
old, so i would trust dhcpcd more.

As much as i like dhclient it is bigger, and it requires that the supplied
kernel be compiled with socket filtering support, which as far as i know
hasnt been the case, i mentioned this to the dhclient maintaner, i dont know
if anything happened about it.

If you need bootp support and size is of concern (pump|| dhcpcd) + and
seperate bootp client would prob be smaller than dhclient.

------- End of Forwarded Message