Re: Essential bloat [was: Debian on CDROM]

On Wed, Oct 13, 1999 at 11:08:54PM -0400, Clint Adams wrote:
> > Don't mess with essential unless things settle down a bit.
>
> No rush.
>
> > Sure, but then you have partial base packages installed, which is
> > kinda evil if you ask me.
>
> > Boot-floppies is based on the theory that base is more-or-less
> > composed of the package in the 'base' section, and that they are
> > more-or-less the same packges you'd get if you installed them
> > normally.  This means that we'll never compete with Tom's Boot Disk
> > and suchlike, but then, we all have better stuff to do anyway.
>
> Right, which is why extraneous bittage should be removed at the
> base packages themselves and not at the boot-floppies stage.
>
> Making 9 floppies is a hassle.

I did a complete PowerPC/PReP build and ended up with...

1 boot, 1 root, 1 rescue, 1 drivers (soon to be two), and 12 base floppies.
Ooohhh, 16 floppies for install.  If anybody has a PReP machine with no
network or CDROM then they deserve this punishment. :)

--
Matt Porter
mmporter@home.com