Re: Essential bloat [was: Debian on CDROM]

On Thu, Oct 14, 1999 at 07:58:04AM -0700, Craig H. Block wrote:
> IMHO, I don't think that it is too much to expect that this file be
> loaded from a medium other than floppy. With respect to standalones, CD
> drives have been standard issue on just about every computer I have seen
> manufactured in the last 5 years and CD writers are cheap now.

For what it's worth, I'm still using computers which are more than five
years old, and I imagine many other people are as well.  Also, remember
that we have a lot of potential users in places where newer equipment
is not the norm, and where money is very tight.

Given some of the reasons for the size of that file (like 3 distinct
fdisk executables), it's probably time to start distinguishing between
the minimal set needed for a stand-alone system and the fuller set for
a more comfortable install.

--
Raul