Re: apt needs to have a security.debian.org deb entry by default

On Mon, Oct 11, 1999 at 04:56:47PM -0700, Joey Hess wrote:
> Joe Block wrote:
> > install, it occurred to me that it would be nice if apt included by
> > default a deb entry for the security updates at security.debian.org.
>
> I agree, but there's a problem. If you have this entry and run apt w/o a
> network connection, apt will return an error code. So adding this entry
> would trip up everyone who just installs from cd.

I was only thinking about it in the case of doing a network install - If I
recall correctly, dselect has a special case for cd installs that doesn't
consult /etc/apt/sources.list - I've only done exactly one install from CD
though and may be misremembering.

> What I think is needed is a new type of entry, call it "deb-skip" perhaps.
> If this type of fails during an apt-get update, apt continues on and does
> not return an error code.

This sounds best - that way, if the network's up it can only dl the packages
that have been updated, and if it isn't the install proceeds normally.

There ought to be some way of specifying a message to be output when a
source is skipped though, so the user with a misconfigured network can know
that they aren't getting the security updates.

jpb
--
Joe Block <jpb@creol.ucf.edu>
CREOL System Administrator

Social graces are the packet headers of everyday life.