Re: status

>  My current schedule:
>    - finish base system building, and remove the @@ marked comments.
>    - finish new driver disk setup
>    - work on bugs (we have one outstanding release critical bug
>      that has not yet been handled in our CVS tree)

Yeah -- note all the 'closes: Bug#...' stuff I recently put in the
changelog.

>    - boxes.c that handles all screen sizes properly (I will not commit
>      this before we have a stable upload, this is on the backburner..)

>    - http base system fetching (I will not commit this before we have a
>      stable and fully working upload)

Ok -- but isn't http base fetching a new feature?  Is that really on
the front burner, and if so, why?

My vision is that once we get the core stuff going (root, boot,
drivers, base, doc) and building right, we should do a test release
source upload.

Then we work on new features and more bug fixes, such as what you have
above.  Also, we need a GUI for tasks selection, a lilo rework for
i386, many documentation corrections, and also hopefully some
"automated installation" changes.

>> What prevents us from uploading a hyper-nuke test source upload now?
>
>  Working driver disks, at least for i386.  I don't know how other platforms
>  handle the increased size of the drivers.
>
>  I have changed dbootstrap to handle drivers the same way as the base
>  system is handled, i.e. split disks.  I also changed drivers.sh.  These
>  changes were implemented this afternoon on a workstation at my work.  I
>  haven't tested them yet...

Ok -- btw, are you changing stuff just for i386 ?

I am quite sure all architectures will need to split boot/root and
also split the drivers disk.

>> With an upload, too, we could close around 100 bugs, so that would
>> flush out the stuff which is fixed and let us see the real bugs.
>
>  I am ok with that, but you can't use the current build to install potato,
>  because we lack working driver disks.

Well, yeah, we need a working drivers disk prior to upload :)