Re: Boot-floppies hacking

On Thu, Sep 16, 1999 at 11:25:38AM +0100, Martin Keegan wrote:
> On Thu, 16 Sep 1999, Martin Schulze wrote:
>
> > One advantage of such a meeting+weekend would be that n people
> > would meet, discuss and implement techniques face-to-face.  The
> > current situation is worst.  There were some ideas, they would
> > have to be tried out.  Unfortunately one person cannot do this
>
> I can't find from the July mail archives of this list any resolution to
> the threads about 'strategy for boot floppies'. What's the plan?
>
> Currently, I don't see how anyone can be building i386 boot floppies with
> the standard Makefile from CVS and an up-to-date potato installation; for
> instance, the build process depends on having a GIF-enabled libgd, which
> no longer exists in potato (I have a patch for PNG).

  My current changes:
    - removed gif, changed to png (bogl)
    - fixed grave bug in dbootstrap
    - boot and root floppies build now, their on separate floppies right
      now, because the kernel has grown

  My todo list (after boot-floppies are working again) includes:
    - fix bugs, see http://bugs.debian.org/boot-floppies
    - http support
    - plip support
    - possible rewrite of dbootstrap (not for potato)
    - feature requests anyone?

> With 2.2 kernels it's no longer feasible to follow the kernel + root
> filesystem on one disk model. This makes floppy-only installations even
> more of a pain. Would it therefore be sensible to admit defeat, and pursue
> a less integrated set of install options? [floppy only, floppy + CD,
> floppy + NFS for i386]. One thing which would be particularly useful (from
> a user's point of view - from a maintainer's point of view it's an
> annoyance) would be to use something other than an utterly stripped down
> miniroot filesystem for installs and rescues; this is much more palatable
> if we're not (as I'm suggesting) going to be constrained to what can be
> crammed onto a floppy.
>
> I'm going to hack away until I actually get a clean build on i386 (which
> is currently breaking on unmet dependencies in an obviously
> slink-flavoured task/profile list).

  See recent tasks and profiles changes.