2.2.x kernel problem: modprobe spamming the console

The other problem I've seen with boot-floppies with a 2.2 kernel is that
modprobe will spam the console with messages. This seems to be a varient of
a known problem, there is code in init.c to deal with the same problem if
installing on a serial console.

Looks to me like there's something broken in the kernel 2.2 console handing
code in configure_terminals(). It's setting serial_cons=/dev/tty1.

Where are messages supposed to go to? /dev/null?

--
see shy jo