Re: Unidentified subject!

Ewwwww.... Have you tried twiddling with the APM setting in the BIOS?

> On an IBM Thinkpad 770E, the same happened, except, that the screen does
> not blank and there is no re-boot. However, the system
> hangs totally and power-off is necessary.

> What should I do? I want Debian on my laptop.

Well, if the BIOS setting frobbing doesn't get you anywhere, and you
have another linux box, you could just replace the kernel on the
rescue image with a known working one.  Often if you just compile a
kernel exactly tuned to your hardware it will work properly.
It's probably that the probing for some device is hanging your box...