Re: Russian patch #1

Please DO NOT APPLY this patch!  It only duplicates the
functionality of loadfont, which is already available.

On Sun, Jul 18, 1999 at 04:30:20PM +0400, Peter Novodvorsky wrote:
> I'd like to apply my patch to the boot-floppies repository.
> But i'm only a translator, and i dont have rights to do
> anything with potato boot-floppies branch.
> This patch contains mapscrn program for busybox,
> that reads screen map (not unicode map, but screen map)
> from stdin.

mapscrn and screen maps were obsoleted long ago by Unicode maps.
You shouldn't be using it on boot floppies anyway since it will work
as expected only on the active virtual console, and only if the user
doesn't run reset(1) afterwards.

> Without this utility future russian localization, won't work.

Russian localization can work RIGHT NOW, without any patches.

You need to write a Unicode-to-font mapping and embed it in the
desired font by using psfaddtable(1). Then place that font in
/usr/src/boot-floppies/scripts/rootdisk/consolefonts, and add
`export FONT=<name-of-the-modified-font>' and
`export SFONT=<name-of-the-original-font>' to the top-level Makefile.

Note that, when writing the Unicode-to-font mapping, you need to use
ISO 8859-1 Unicodes to avoid changing the application-to-Unicode
mapping; i.e. for a character whose position in your code page is
0xF1, and whose Unicode code is 0x0f00, you'll use something like
this:
	0xf1	U+00f1
Some would say (and I agree) that this is abusing Unicode, but I am
not aware of an acceptable alternative.

(Sorry, but at the moment I don't have enough time to give a full, or
even sane, explanation.  Contact me privately if you are interested
why this must be done this way or need help doing it.)