Re: installation Profiles and Tasks

Well, I HATE to say that but... sigh... Windows does this right.

What I'd like to see is some kind of tree-like structure; so in
the top level the user sees

"""
[ ]  Development tools                  (...)
[ ]  System administration tools        (...)
[ ]  Network servers                    (...)
[ ]  Network clients                    (...)
"""

but by clicking, for example, in the (...) next "Development":

"""
------------ Languages -------------
[ ]  C Development                      (...)
[ ]  C++ Development                    (...)
[ ]  Perl Development                   (...)
[ ]  Scheme Development                 (...)
[ ]  Python Development                 (...)
------------ Libraries -------------
[ ]  Text-mode Development              (...)
[ ]  X (GUI) Development                (...)
[ ]  GNOME Development                  (...)
"""

and so on, till the package level (for example, perhaps the
(...) in "Text-mode" leads to package selection - curses,
readline, whatnot).

If possible, even be smart enought to install perl-gnome iif we
selected "GNOME Development" and "Perl Development". One of the
ways this could be done is by a "weak membership" of perl-gnome
in "GNOME Development"; a "weak member" will only be installed
if its dependencies are satisfied elsewhere, while a "strong
member" will be installed, period (with apt or whatever
correcting the dependencies as needed).

So we have our cake and eat it too; novices can do all
selections in the toplevel menu (just checking the checkbox may
even not mean "select it all", but "select the default from
this one", meaning just selecting "Development tools" would not
install pascal, fortran etc compilers and icon, express etc
interpreters.

[]s,
                                               |alo
                                               +----