Re: Ideas

From: Steve McIntyre <stevem@chiark.greenend.org.uk>
Subject: Ideas
Date: Sun, 27 Jun 1999 17:14:01 +0100 (BST)

> The problems people are having with the multi-CD install could be helped
> in a very simple way. (I assume that people have noticed confused posts to
> debian-user.) People are not seeing the README on each disc that explains
> about inserting the last binary disc first for Update in dselect. I'm
> going to patch the dpkg-multicd method to insert a message in the Update
> step itself, so people should now no longer be able to miss this. And to
> fix the other source of confusion, I'll also add a warning that in many
> cases a simple install will never use any disks subsequent to the first
> one...

And another problem regarding the people who don't read the
documentation is tasks/profiles selection. They forget to skip
"Select" step in dselect and fall down on package installation on
seeing the huge package list and struggling with dselect, although
they have no need to do that.

Now we have apt-cdrom, so we can do tasks/profiles selection and
package installation without dselect if we have a little tool to set
up sources.list. People who want to use dselect still can use it and
pick up the individual packages.

Does anyone have interest in implementing this? I don't have enough
time to write the code...

--
Keita Maehara <maehara@debian.org>