Interactive Knowledge-based AI

Recently, my cousin had to write a knowledge-based thingie (not sure what
they are classified as, 'program' doesn't seem right).  He based it off a
debian installation.  He developed a scheme where the user is asked a few
weighted questions to determine a 'expertise' level and then it continues
through the installation based on that.

This would be something that would be really sweet if we could embed this
into the debian installation.  It will help users based on expertice and
explain things in different levels of detail, etc.  This will prolly be
best suited in the X install, so I don't see this going in until debian
2.4 or 3.0.

Any ideas, comments or suggestions?

-Matt