Re: Debian CDROM images as rescue disk [was: Re: An 'ae' testimony]

On Sun, May 23, 1999 at 01:17:01PM +0200, Paul Seelig wrote:
> > How did you come to that conclusion (that I don't know that it is a
> > rescue disk)?
> >
> I'd rather like to see our bootable CDROM images equipped with more
> extensive rescue disk facilities like a "real" vi and whatnot like
> various other distributions already have (at least SuSE and ?).  I
> would love to have the option to choose between a rescue floppy with
> limited contents and a rescue option when booting from CDROM (even
> Win98 offers this now) containing lots of useful tools without space
> restriction imposed by inferior storage media.  Needless to say that i
> wouldn't bother about the rescue floppy anymore with a rescue CDROM
> present.  *That* would be a very nice thing to have...

Agreed on a more general level.  While I still believe ee is the best
choice for a boot disk editor (the only thing smaller is ae which is
rather fragile IMO), we clearly have need of a better way to recover a
hosed system than our current rescue disk.  I think we should probably
have a bigroot.bin (one can use syslinux on ide or scsi floppies right?)
which can be put onto superdisks, zip disks, dos partitions, etc.

This bigroot should have if possible things such as bash, a REAL vi (not
elvis-tiny, but something like nvi), possibly something like jed for the
emacs crowd, real utils such as tar, gzip, grep...  You know, something
that's actually suitable for system recovery.  I don't care if it runs
the installation program on the first vt or not, but it would be nice if
it had more than just 2 vt's supported if it does---3 would be fine.

Who had the patch for a loopback root filesystem again?  =>

<SilverStr> media ethics is an oxymoron, much like Jumbo Shrimp and
            Microsoft Works.
<MonkAway> not to mention NT Security