boot-floppies slink / potato merge

I just completed a slink -> potato merge.  I really hope I didn't mess
stuff up too bad, but it was time to do it again.

Joey in particular had been mistakenly instructed by me to work on the
stable branch.  I may need to roll back some or all of the stuff he
didn in the slink branch (now that we have his work in potato also).
OTOH, much of Joey's work on the slink branch *was* in fact required
for the DE version of the boot-floppies, which he just announced.

So if there is stuff which was committed to the slink branch which
should not have been, I'd like to know exactly which stuff that was.
I consider the boot-message stuff suspect, as an entire new feature...

One last thing.  Even though I have merged, translations of *slink*
documentation should still be done in the *slink* branch.  I hope we
fix the potato documentation tree, but we do need pointerize
upload.... Enrique?