Re: Corel and Debian Development was:( Lothar Project)

On Mon, Apr 26, 1999 at 12:36:53PM -0400, Dave Neil wrote:
> > From my standpoint, the issues are:
> >
> > Is it GPL?
> >
> > Is it platform-independant?
> >
> > Do kernel hackers seem to like it ? I.e., it's critical to try to
> > involve the linux community for wide-scale driver converage.
>
> Dave here from Corel,

Hiya Dave,

> Lothar seems very interesting. We definitely are going to want hardware
> detection and are studying different ideas at this time.  On a related
> note, there seems to be some overlap as far as the need to involve
> different groups of developers in regards to this and other setup
> issues. Would a site devoted to basically posting develop ideas and
> joint status be of use?

There is a lot of overlap in this area because there are a lot of
half-implementations I think.  Lothar is hoping to consolidate some
effort here but I'm not real sure some of the players (Redhat and
probably more likely Caldera) aren't as likely to want to take a back
seat to another distribution doing this sort of thing.

I think I can safely speak for much of Debian's developers when I say
that we generally don't care who does it as long as it gets done right.

> Corel could setup the site .  How comfortable are all of you with
> having our presence on your lists? To me it'll be great to cooperate,
> however I in no way want Corel to be perceived as intruding into
> Debian's space. If anyone has some ideas of how we can work together
> and avoid this please let me know. Bottom line is we want to help and
> not be intrusive. Thanks Dave

Our lists are public for a reason..  Welcome aboard.  Input is always
welcome.  Fair warning that the usual way controversial matters are
handled is with uh, "spirited debate" all too often.  Asbestos
undergarments are a plus, but otherwise...  =>

The X Window System:
  The standard UNIX graphical environment.  With Linux, this is usually
  XFree86 (http://www.xfree86.org).  You may call it X, XFree, the X
  Window System, XF86, or a host of other things.  Call it 'XWindows' and
  someone will smack you and you will have deserved it.