Corel and Debian Development was:( Lothar Project)

Adam Di Carlo wrote:

> Stephen Crowley <crow@master.debian.org> writes:
>
> > Just saw this on slashdot,
> >
> > http://www.linux-mandrake.com/lothar/
> [...]
>
> > I havent looked at their code yet but it seems like its a very cool project,
> > if we could work with them instead of doing something on our own it would be
> > a lot better.
>
> Hm.... I agree.  Corel in my conversations with them have been
> advocating this sort of thing pretty heavily.  Any corel folks here
> with a POV on Lothar?  Thoughts?
>
> From my standpoint, the issues are:
>
> Is it GPL?
>
> Is it platform-independant?
>
> Do kernel hackers seem to like it ? I.e., it's critical to try to
> involve the linux community for wide-scale driver converage.

Dave here from Corel,
Lothar seems very interesting. We definitely are going to want hardware detection
and are studying different ideas at this time.  On a related note, there seems to
be some overlap
as far as the need to involve different groups of developers in regards to this
and other setup issues. Would a site devoted to basically posting  develop ideas
and joint status be of use?
Corel could setup the site .  How comfortable are all of you with having our
presence on your lists? To me it'll be great to cooperate, however I in no way
want Corel to be perceived as intruding into Debian's space. If anyone has some
ideas of how we can work together and avoid this please let me know. Bottom line
is we want to help and not be intrusive.
Thanks
Dave