Why minix for root.bin?

Is there a good reason that we use a minix filesystem for root.bin?  I
don't know of any fundamental reason that we couldn't use ext2; I've
put ext2 filesystems on floppies before without trouble.  Changing
from minix to ext2 would allow us to drop minix support from the boot
floppy kernel, moving it to the modules disk.

Moving minix off the boot floppy kernel would save about 13k,
compressed.  This is looking more and more valuable.
--
"Debian for hackers, Red Hat for suits, Slackware for loons."
--CmdrTaco <URL:http://slashdot.org/articles/99/03/22/0928207.shtml>