Re: changes in dbootstrap i18n (was Re: Hard newlines in dbootstrap messages)

On Sun, Mar 21, 1999 at 10:59:05AM +0100, Hartmut Koptein wrote:
> > > ez> - dbootstrap now uses a "gettext-alike" method for i18n. That
> > > ez> means the sources are "gettextized" and the message catalogs are
> > > ez> PO files that can be automatically updated/checked using simple
> > > ez> "make" targets. I think that'll make our tasks as
> > > ez> programmers/translators easier.  OTOH, it may some Adam's macros
> > > ez> for the documentation. Adam, I may build a trimmed-down
> > > ez> "lang_<lang>.h" (or whatever.ent) at compile time if you still
> > > ez> need it. Just tell me.
> > >
> > > Hmm... Well, what I, really, are just the following (for all languages):
> >
> > Of course everybody else on the list already knows the verb you and me
> > have carefully omitted from the previous sentences is "have to
> > frobnicate". ;-)
>
> Enrique, where is the message/lang_de.h file and my last changes for powerpc?
> Will the lang_XX.h completly replaced by the po-files?

Yes, that's the point. The messages directory has been removed, and a new
directory, po, has been created. It contains the template file
"dbootstrap.pot" and a few PO files (including de.po). It also contain
some old lang_<foo>.h files, just becasue I haven't converted them to PO
files yet. The POT file and the PO files are automatically updated using
"make update-po" on the po/ directory. The usual gettext tools extract
all the translatable messages from the sources and add them to the POT
and PO files. They even try to assign a translation if a similar message
has been translated already.

In de.po you may see there are already translations for your powerpc
messages (look for strings marked "fuzzy"). Those have been automatically
generated by gettext tools from other messages, so they are not perfect.
I will fix them using the translations in lang_de.h in a few minutes
(Caveat: I don't speak german, but I just need to cut'n'paste).

For those of you that want to work on the translations, emacs PO-mode is
your friend (and I'm a proud VIM user!).

--
Enrique Zanardi					   ezanardi@ull.es